Friday, October 10, 2008

Charets, Earwigs and one skinny little girl

So the anticipated volunteer site visit has come and gone. Its strange, the days seem so long, but at the same time its crazy that a month has already passed. 23 months left guys!!!!! I leave for my training village with a lot more courage, a little more language confidence and a couple pounds (probably from dinner tonight--i heffed it up and there were bananas for dessert yum!). Africa FUN!!!!

I was really looking forward to this site visit, maybe a little too much. I didn't end up going to my site (bummer), but we went to the girl who's in my training village's site. The volunteer, who shall remain nameless for the moment, was.....well, lets just say it wasn't the cleanest hut i've ever seen in my days. But first things first. After leaving Kaolack via Alhum, an hour later I found myself traveling into the bush by Sharet for another 2 1/2 hours. Yikes!

Alhum: A truck-ish kind of vehicle that seats probably 60. Not comfortably mind you. Only about the width of a pickup truck with 10 rows that seat 5 or 6 people across, the cleverly named Alhumdulillah is not my favorite. I think the direct translation of that is something like Praise be to God. In my opinion, it should be named Inchallah. Translation: God willing. As in, God willing, this thing will make it to its destination, despite the potholes in the road. More like road in the potholes!

Charet: A horse drawn cart. Cute....

It rained all day, so the charet ride was less than pleasant. But surprisingly more so than the way back to civilization. Upon arrival, things were fine. A tasty dinner of Millet flavored sand and beans, followed by the same millet swimming in a bowl of milk straight from the cow. Delicious???? maybe i'll let myself get a little hungrier before opting for that one again. Mosquito net up and we're in bed. I chose to sleep on the broken cot instead of snuggling up to a random non-deodorant wearing, potentially lice infested boy. (Just for you Chris because you know I was tempted on that one :) )

Next morning, breakfast! Starving lets open the bowl!!! What! Thats right all, its the same millet and beans and millet and milk from last night!!!! Ugh, 3 bites and a protein bar it is. At this point i'm not too concerned, or didn't really pay attention, at the fact that after spilling millet and milk all over the floor, it wasn't cleaned up. Hmmm......

A day in the garden and its back to the bucket for a bath where i'm attacked by stink bugs and go running back into the hut still lathered up and the war has officially begun. Sick from the gluten at lunch, I hit the sack early. Never having had an issue before I pop the mosquito net down and close my eyes. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, I forgot something and turned on my flashlight to find that I was not the only one sleeping on the broken cot. A clan of earwigs decided to take shelter inside my net. LOVELY! Skinny girl freak out MAJOR!!!! it wasn't pretty. The rest of the nights provided entertainment to the volunteer and Natalie while I spent the necessary 25 minutes each night to inspect my net for any type of bug. Regardless, I didn't sleep for 3 days and I now have an ear ache. I think one may have crawled in my ear and nested. Crap---creeping eruption will not be fun in my ear. Actually, creeping eruption isn't in your ear, its a fungal bacteria thing and yes, a girl in my stage has it right now. It sucks.

Anyway, after an endless battle with bugs, earwigs and feeling like the oddball out since i'm more human rights than environmental maniac, we head out. Back to Thies. The sun is shining and i'm on the Charet, leaning against the back with my feet up enjoying the ride. I'ts fairly smooth and I think, this isn't so bad, I almost forget that i'm in Africa (minus the earwigs). Oh whoops! the wheel fell off. Oh yea, Sarah, you're still in Africa, how could you forget? An hour later, I'm sitting across a thin piece of wood and leaning on nothing. Holding on for dear life, I eventually begin to relax again. Oh whoops!!! Your butt fell through a hole and you're stuck practically under the horse. Please don't poop!!!!! You're still in Africa and at the moment---Africa NOT fun!!!

But, bruised lack of butt and all, back in the training center bubble in Thies, I'm relaxed. Clean (yay for showers) and ready for the beach tomorrow. Thats right!!!! Beach weekend, be jealous!!!

I'll be in the village starting Tuesday till next Sunday. Call my cell or else i'll talk to you guys when I get back. LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU!!! (And Chris don't worry, the money will work itself out and we have Paris and the Senegalese waterfalls to look forward to!!!)

--Oh and correction, the hut is not being built now. I'm the second volunteer to go to Pakane, but my family is supposedly amazing and there are banana and papaya trees in my back yard. Plus, Pulaars are herders so I'll have milk (unpasteurized but at least I don't have to worry about osteoporosis!!) And its on the delta yay!

3 comments:

Da Momma said...

hahahahaha! I hate earwigs! So nice to see your voice. EGADS, I can't text you or something and the phone lines are always either busy or down or not working and I am not a fan of Africa at this particular moment in time. I miss my girl. Please carry those protein bars and other American foods with you so I dont' worry. Beach......oh, wow! Do you need anything?
Love you.........

Rachel said...

ewww...I looked up creeping eruption. its actually a hookworm infection (parasite). EWWW!!! Make sure you always always always have shoes on! I've been shopping for you :) Miss you lots and lots! Wow - mom is a stalker...how did she read this and comment so fast?!? I heart you!

Pappy said...

glad to hear from you again kid. how is the toe doing. any earwigs in there? a letter is on the way. your mom said that she has made up her mind to "home peace corp " you. make your room look like africa or something,make you eat nasty stuff. good times indeed. it sounds like you are having all kinds of new experiences some fun, some yeah.... will talk later. love pappy