Thursday, May 7, 2009

Job description: stressed out nag

Back in Kaolack after a two and a half week long stint in Pakane. Let me just say, this might have been the most stressful at site since arriving. My tree nursery has been finished for over 3 weeks now, and I am just now getting the villagers to start theirs. Although, the chickens have taken a liking to my trees so I had to buy chicken wire and threaten my family that I would eat the chickens if they touched my trees again. Is it bad that I kind of want them to maybe just eat one -- so i can have them for lunch? Anyway, over and over they gave me a time or day to come and over and over again they blew me off. "Sira Ba, I don't have something I need, come tomorrow morning around 9." Nine o'clock comes around and I show up, "Oh sorry, he went to Kaolack." What the h? I think it might be a record to have been blown off 6 times in one day. Seriously?! Finally, I took a book and retreated to the bush shooting dirty look after dirty look and avoiding children by ducking behind trees so they wouldn't follow me. I feel like rather than spending most of my time nagging the villagers to work instead of actually working. Although I have been able to start 7 nurserys before I left, so that helps.

On one especially frustrating day, I decided it would be a good idea to go to my road town to buy a mango. And while I can get them in the village, they're either so squishy it reminds me of the inside of a gusher or dripping with drool from my year old brother sucking on it. Probably a bad idea on that day since I was already in a bad mood and I had to deal with people. The next time I hear anyone in America complaining about racism, I'm probably going to flip. The fact that I had to hide in a random shack, to keep from being harassed, only to be surrounded by 15 teenage boys shouting "toubab" and hissing/making kissing noises as I tried to eat it is, to put it nicely, obnoxious. Seriously, you would be hard pressed to find that in America.

On the bright side, thanks to you all, I am almost fully funded for my bed-net distribution by now! And in less than 24hours! But don't feel like we have to stop at the goal of $250, any extra proceeds will go to other volunteers in need of bed nets as well and who haven't raised the money that they need yet. Thank you so much! Also, I am funded for 8 latrines and am waiting for the reset of the money to come in from a local NGO. I want to start construction this weekend when I go back home to Pakane. The villagers can stop bugging me 3 times a day. They still have not given me their share though, so again with the nagging, I need to start in on them yet again.

So, I came in for Cinco de Mayo and made enchilladas! They were absolutely delicious. However, I came in by car instead of biking Alhumdillilah! That was by far the hardest thing have ever done. I'll probably do it again haha! Peace corps has turned me into a socially awkward masochist. But, since having been here, I've learned that the money we raised fund-raising, for the gender and developement group I run communications for, is not able to be used. According to a new rule, we are not allowed to specifically raise the funds or handle the money in any way. Meaning, all of the money we raised at WAIST (by drinking and selling the boys off as dates) can't be used for the 80 scholarships we are giving out this month. All and all, we may not be able to give out the scholarships. Not good! I'm desperately trying to come of with an answer, so that these girls can actually receive the money to buy school supplies and food.

So, as you can see, I am beyond stressed. Despite even the work aspects, one of my closest neighbors seems to have it out for me since i'm not my ancient (the girl I replaced). Apparently they were friends, and since I'm not her that makes me, well, the devil. What a jerk. Cant relax in Kaolack because of work and can't relax at home because of stupid men (and mice). Lame! On the bright side I did decide on some travel plans!

In October I'm going to Mali with two other people. One of the girls is from up north and I don't know her very well, but the other girl is in the Kaolack region and one of my favorite people in country. 2 full weeks of hiking, riding camels and taking a picture in front of the "Welcome to Timbuktu" sign. I shortened my trip home by a week, sorry mom (we'll talk later) so that in March I can travel West Africa for 3 weeks. My goal is to hit Guinea, Sierra Leonne and Liberia. As for a trip at the end of my service, I'm off to Nepal to trekk in the Himalayas and to find the Abominable Snowman (more like the Adorable Snowman!). After 4-5 days in India I'll be back in the good 'ole US of A.

Also, thank you all so much for helping me with my bed net distribution. If anyone else wants to help me out with funding you can go to my website. Any money over the $250 will go to other volunteers involved in the distribution who have not yet raised enough. So extras are always welcome! I miss and love you all so much and I can't wait to see everyone in 6 months!
www.AgainstMalaria.com/SarahKnight

2 comments:

Rachel said...

i heart the abominable....i was talking with my friend sarah last night and she agreed to come with you and search for the yeti! did you ever use your blender on cinco de mayo?? can't wait to talk to you later.

Da Momma said...

That is the cutest abominable I have EVER seen. I want to hug him! Will he melt if he leaves the himalayas? It was great to talk to you.

Did you see your Net site -you have passed your requirement. Yeah!
Have a safe trip back.