Friday, January 16, 2009

Character Building 101

Dodging a dive-bombing Danza as I burst out of my mosquito net and break through the door, plunging onto hands and knees and throwing myself face first into my douche is not what I would call a particularly pleasant evening. Food Poisoning: Another one of Africa's little ways of telling me it hates me. I don't think I even have to say how many reasons the words face and douche should not be used in the same sentence. Much less come even close in reality. Unfortunately, it only took me a few moments, scratch that, I immediately regret the decision to develop an intimate relationship with my little hole in the ground. One would think that a chicken would be much better lunch choice than one of fish face, bird seed and ameobas. One would think. Seriously though, how often do I get to eat meat?

Considering that after pulling the lid off the bowl, the first parts of the chicken I saw were the feet followed shortly by the beak, I should know better. Sure enough, almost exactly 8 hours later, I'm curled up fetal positioned around a bucket on a freezing cold, concrete floor and praying for the sweet relief of death. Also praying that the mice don't realize that I'm on the floor as well. Mouse bite to the jugular would not be my preferred way to go, and lets face it, there would be no fighting it. It was pathetic. However, while trying to maintain a positive attitude that I will, infact, live through the night contrary to what my body was telling me, I tried as hard as I could to think of something else.

Ok, so brace yourself, this is why I will be such a weirdo when I come back to the states. Unlike a "normal" person, who would choose to think of oh I don't know, what I might do the next day or my Paris vacation in June, Christmas next year in the states....no. What pops in my head? Sheep. Sheep? Really? The only way to rationalize this is that I was trying to fall asleep. Counting sheep right? Well, thats not exactly how the thought process went. I want to know, who the hell thought of counting sheep before bed. Sure the serta sheep are cute, but Pakane Toucouleur sheep? Absolutely not. There is no way on earth, I would ever want one of those no wool, crusty, crapping, snot machines jumping over me until I slept. There is one in particular that is overly creepy. It has a cold, I'm sure, and will come up behind you after the sun goes down and do one of two things. The first: use me as a personal snot rag and the second: does anyone remember the creepy kid in Hey Arnold? He is the sheep version of that kid. I am still wondering what threw that into my mind, but its an honest question? Does anyone know where the idea of counting sheep came from? Why on earth wouldn't they choose something cuter, like koalas or something. What the h?

On the other hand, I feel that I have successfully done my job here in Senegal and come home now. No, I have done nothing Agfo related or work related yet period. But, I have successfully incorporated sass into everyday conversations. And I now know how to call someone a creeper in Pulaar. I do so at least once a day. My 15 year old brother does not appreciate it, but I don't care. As I said, mission accomplished :)


Things at site though are going better, I'm a lot happier despite the fact that one of my mom's is evil. She hates me and I'm not particularly fond of her either so it works out. My other mom is about to pop and I'm hoping that she doesn't have the baby while I am gone for IST. I really want to be there for it, as well as the baptism. IST brings me to another point. We are being forced to commute back and forth everyday from the training villages. I absolutely hated that family and really feel no reason to be nice when I go back. They certainly aren't. The Peace Corps staff is about to see one grumpy Sarah, that's for sure. Unfortunately, this means no skyping and I will be stuck eating more millet. Ugh!

Give me a call whenever though, it does get lonely in the village. Its really hard to relate to women, since we have absolutely nothing in common and the men always have ulterior motives. Its annoying. Oh well, hopefully soon I can feel like I have actual friends there as opposed to still feeling like a guest. Lame.

I hope everyones new years was fun and happy 2009!!

3 comments:

Da Momma said...

Holy Cow! You need to take a picture of the knarly sheep so we can compare them to the Serta Sheep. Nice to see your voice kiddo. We are heading to Florida tomorrow to see your Uncle Roger. WooHoo --- Shaved Ice at Johns Pass! Ymmmmmmmm!

Da Momma said...

HEY YOUR SHEEP HAVE BOT FLY INFESTATION! READ THIS:

Nasal bots
Also called sheep bot fly and head bot. The sheep bot fly is a fuzzy, yellowish-gray or brown fly that deposits tiny larvae on the muzzles or nostrils of sheep. The larvae migrate into the nostrils and head sinuses and develop. A snotty nose is the symptom. Animals will hold their heads down or in a corner to escape the flies. The highest bot levels are seen in November and December. A systemic insecticide formulation containing ivermectin is effective against larval stages of the nasal bot.

I just happen to find this! hahahaha!

Love Momma

Rachel said...

Hi sweet sister!!!! remember that little baby mutant sheep in 'black sheep' that bites the guy's earlobe! and then later he has a hoof....you better watch out!!! love you :D