Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Did you know....

So its been almost 7 months since I arrived in Senegal. Its really hard to believe but here I am, full-fledged, pulaar speaking dirty peace corps volunteer. Just today, when I came in to Kaolack, even the other volunteers were so impressed by how dirty I managed to get on the way in today that they wouldn't even give me a hug. Needless to say, I showered immediately. Thank god we had water today.

With 6 1/2 months under my belt/ bin bin (senegalese lingerie) I feel like now is an excellent time to reflect on the things I've learned or discovered, for better or for worse, while in country. Mind you, some of these things may seem insignificant, but they are a big part of my life here.

1.) Quiet as a mouse my ass. Mice are NOT quite. They have made themselves known many times in my hut over the past few months. Living with an obnoxious cat, throwing down poison/glue and smashing them or sleeping with your ipod full blast the damn things do not die! Now, not only have they taken to keeping me awake until 5AM, making little Sira Ba quite the grumpy pulaar, but now they've gotten so bold as to run up and down my mosquito net. Thank god I keep that thing tucked into the bottom of my mattress or they would be climbing up and down my body while I slept. GREEEEAAATTT....

2.) The warning on batteries about not keeping them in settings where the temperature rises above a certain temperature......yea its true. Last night as I slept/ lay awake waiting to shine my head lamp on the mice to make them run out the door, the headlamp that lay on my stomach basically exploded. No actually the batteries inside exploded. Apparently that does happen. Battery acid on your stomach, well....not the most pleasant of experiences let me tell you. Every swear word (English, French and Pulaar) that could be imagined EVER came out of my mouth. My family thinks I'm even more crazy than before.

3.) There is such a thing as a Toubab collector.
Toubab: a racist term used in reference to white people. I hear it every day. Its lovely.
Some people in Senegal really like to show off the fact that they know white people. They pretend we are their friends and take pictures with us to show their friends. In America this would be really weird and why the hell would you ever do it. But, before they actually take your picture, they make sure to show you all of the other pictures with white people that they have taken to show that they have white friends. Really? In my opinion, this is weird.

4.) You can actually strap a full grown 22 year old girl onto a persons back. I know this because I was strapped onto my friends back and carried around earlier this evening. We'll see how this goes over when I ask my host mom in the village. Just add 100lbs to whatever that infant on your back weighs and its practically the same thing! Swear to god mom....

5.) Baby goats are called kids for a reason. Sometimes in the middle of the night I wake up to the glorious sound of a baby goat calling for its mother. Or, is that an actual kid calling for its mother. Really, I can't tell the difference 90 percent of the time. Its pretty strange. Even worse, during the day when a kid (human kid) is crying, but you cant see them. All you see is a goat...... with its mouth open..... is it a baby or a goat making the noise. 30 minutes of boredom are cured each day in response to this question. The answer on most days is not observed. The goat gets bored and runs away. Damn lucky goat.

6.) Your hand is just as good as an eating utensil.

7.) If you gain weight after going to Kaolack, your family WILL call you out. Thanks fam, first I'm too small now im too big? what the hell make up your mind. At least they didn't call me pretty. I would ET

8.) Peace Corps is said to take 15 years off your life. I believe it. I have started to develop smokers cough....but instead of smoke, my lungs are filled with Sand. All of the things that go wrong with our health here, plus the stress and all of the possible things that could go wrong even after we get back to the states, its a wonder we even make it home alive. It should take about 50 years off our lives! Not to mention all of the random medicines we take, plus the 3 shots twice a week we got during training. God knows a shot filled with rabies can not make me healthy. come to think of it, my spit was a little foamy yesterday....hmmm.....

9.) Even with my language skills improving, some words are still ridiculous. There is actually a word for the action of digging peanuts out of the ground. It is "kissy-kissy." Again, really? I tried to explain what kiss means in English and I think they took it to another level. Its quite disturbing. Especially since they think I'm married, the women make it their mission in life to make me blush. They find it hilarious. I on the other hand, do not. Well....in all honesty, it is pretty funny, who knew that was what African women talked about most. So bizarre!

10.) So I've been living in Pakane for 4 months. Yet, some of the children still burst into tears as soon as they see me. Am I really that scary looking? Its a real self esteem booster when children cry as soon as you leave your hut in the morning. Oh Africa, you're starting to grow on me.

I will keep adding to this list....but right now its st patty's and the other volunteers are upstairs....I'm done being anti-social for now. I'm sending kissy-kissy's your way!

5 comments:

Pappy said...

wow, you should have made it an even ten things.

Pappy said...

It is always so nice to talk to you online like that. I am going to install my webcam tonight so we can see each other. I think you should add the following to your list:
1. The ability to survive Africa without winning 100K.
2. My body has adjusted and I don't know it that is a good thing.
3. The look on the children's faces when playing with bubbles is "PRICELESS"

I am sending more bubbles.

I love you girl and miss you. Sometimes, I just sit on your bed. Othertimes, I sleep there.

Love Momma.

Rachel said...

Mom's a creep!

Nikki said...

Wow. You need to print off this list so you can keep it for posterity. These are stories you don't want to forget!!!

Da Momma said...

Hey, I have an idea.....when you walk out of the hut, look at the children and start crying.