Thursday, September 18, 2008

Mbiyete mi ko Binta Sih

So, I had my first home stay experience in an African village. And in retrospect it really wasn't that bad. My family is so welcoming and trying to help me with the language (which is absolutely crazy!). Pulaar is definitely a challenge to learn and I feel like an idiot with my family since I can't speak anything and its a complete immersion program. The title says that my name (in Senegal) is Binta Sih. Weird that my sister's name is the exact same. Talk about confusing!

My room is pretty nice. Its HUGE!!! but there's only a bed in it so it looks even bigger. I have to close my window and door at night too keep the critters out so its like an oven. I've lost at least five pounds already in sweat and the inability to eat alone! Since its ramadan, I have to eat lunch in my room which is actually really helpful since I cant really eat gluten and everything here is carbs. Yikes!!! Not to mention the fish head looking at me. Yay vegetarian diet at the training center!!!! Anyway, there's a donkey that lives outside my window and continues to make noise from sun up to sun down and every moment in between. And, if you were ever wonder if Roosters really sound like that. Yes, they do. And no, its not just when the sun comes up. Its when it comes up and every 5 minutes after that! its great. Oh and there all giant turkeys that run around my village and all I can think is THANKSGIVING!!!! haha! But my sisters are great. I sat around peeling beans with them and pointing to a bunch of things and asking what the pulaar word was. I felt retarded haha! and I've never been laughed at so much in my life.

As far as the food. Its tough. I can't eat anything and as a result, I almost passed out at my training sight and succeeded in thoroughly freaking out the town. Which the negative effect is now that they make me eat everything in sight (everything gluten) and i'm even sicker ah! plus the PCMO's recommendation for cleaning water is bleach, so i feel sick even more often. Yay peace corp solutions to untreated water!


As you can see, everything is touching and its all carbs basically....I cant eat anything











My emotional state was questionable since i couldnt get a hold of my buhoe and was sick and frustrated. So we got back into town and got beer and ice cream yum. There's a ben and jerry's in dakar so i'm really excited for that.

Im excited and a lot more encouraged since i talked to him and i cant wait until June when I see him and until next christmas when I'm home for a month. I got a cell phone so shoot me a message I'll give you the number.

I planted a garden today during training, apparently I have to plant 50 trees next week yikes!!!! But its ok, if you all are going to send anything though, make sure its gluten free! Also, please send me some letters. its really depressing when other people get letters and I dont. So get on that people, come on i'm over here in the middle of nowhere while you watch tv and drink your cold beers...i feel so bad for you haha! Love you guys

Peace Corps Quote #3 "So, this isnt FDA approved, but......."

on the way to our site!

3 comments:

Da Momma said...

What the H? You didn't mention that you missed me, only Chris.....ahhhhh, I am sending you a giant fish head hat for that. You look okay for having fainted. I sent you 3 boxes of food so you can eat. I will go Gluten free shopping again with Rachel. See you later, Seesha girl.

Love Momma

Pappy said...

hey remember what i told you about the water bottles on the roof for 6 hours to kill 99% of everything bad. 6 hours on the hot sunny days and 48 hours on the cloudy days.it beats bleach water. love pappy.

mary said...

Hey Binta Sih
Chris has helped me get on line. I agree your food looks super "yummy" Hopefully all those carbs will give you a spurt of energy!!! You're in our thoughts. Stay well
Love
Mary