Sunday, September 14, 2008

Oh yikes Africa.

Today I finally was able to leave the compound which was WONDERFUL!!!! The training site is ok, full of mosquitos and the only green area in the city. Probably why there are so many mosquitoes. I am convinced that I will die by mosquito bite sometime while i'm here. Either that or malaria. Hopefully neither, but i'm convinced. Right down the street is a maximum security prison and a "red zone" but the train tracks which we are not allowed to go (obviously). I guess someone was found dead there last month (not a pc volunteer mom chill out). The town is crazy and confusing.....and sweaty. I don't speak wolof so I cant really communicate unless someone speaks french. Actually, I wont even be learning Wolof. I'll be learning Pulaar which is spoken in more places than just Senegal. Its more of a nomadic language.

For those of you who are wondering when you'll get to see my beautiful sweaty face again. Other than Chris or anyone who is coming to visit, I'll be back to visit the states and put on weight again is Next Christmas for like 2 weeks. So get excited and buy me lots of christmas presents and candy k? thanks

As far as my health, that is questionable already. I've had a stomach ache since I got here. The heat probably doesn't help the nausea and I can already tell that my weight will drop dramatically. The food is decent despite it all touching :) Luckily its taboo in Seneglese culture to take a bite of multiple things at once. Yay for my phobia!! But my stomach isn't really able to handle it and whenever I smell it cooking, waves of nausea hit. Apparently everyone else likes it though. My body is just weird I guess. Which sucks for me since this is when they're feeding us well. I'll basically live off whatever I can make since the sanitation standards are much different from the states. That and I really don't want to get sick in a squaty. The toe is hanging in there all though I'm not sure how long. Keeping it clean is the hard part since i'm constantly walking in sand. Also, I got a rabies, hep A and meningitis vaccine. My arm is going to fall off.

I totally lucked out in my training hut. I'm in a room with 3 other girls and my mosquito net and pictures have become my comfort zone. Never thought that'd be the case, even when my bed has an imprint of my body in it at all times haha! Fat body.....yea right. But, our batiment (kinda like a barrack) has western toilets!!!! Now, you guys know that I cant even pee at a gas station restroom, but i've never been so happy to see a toilet in my life. Fear #1 overcome. The showers are cold and its wonderful!!!!

The days are long but the cultural training is fun. I learned how to carry water on my head yesterday. Its heavy and yes, it is hard. I am the sweatiest person you will probably ever meet. I actually wrang out my shirt today after getting back from the market. I am disgusting. But mascara makes me feel pretty :)

I'll have my own hut which I was disappointed about before, but now I'm really excited and am really looking forward to the privacy and time to make my own food and stuff.

As far as things to send FOOD! and TOILET PAPER!!! I found out the reason its not acceptable to use your left hand for anything and let me tell you, I will not be taking part in that tradition. Toilet paper is a must in my life. Everything else, I'm pretty much set on for a while. Except that my alarm clock doesnt work, but if I have a phone I should be ok, at least for a while.

FOOD FUN THINGS TO SEND:
-Candy that won't melt (skittles, jolly ranchers, etc.)
-Crackers
-Cliff Bars, they don't really melt and give me extra calories and protein
-Dried Cranberries are like my candy
-maybe some pasta once I get to my village so I don't always have to have rice
-cookies (the butter cookies that you can put around your fingers would be delicious)
other yummy non-melty stuff you can think of would be great too

everybody enjoy the american food. i miss it and I cant wait to eat it next december Love you all!

Peace Corps quote #2: "Wherever there's water its wet, and wherever its wet, there's poo somewhere"

5 comments:

Da Momma said...

Nice quote! hahaah! Hang in there honey, you are tougher than you know. I am putting a box together of crackers and stuff that you can eat. I will send pasta and ramens and other foods to you weekly. I will start with one tomorrow. Your body will adjust to the climate so the sweating will decrease but it will take about a month for that. As far as the mosquitos go, I will look for some uber bug stuff. I will go to the military surplus store since they have uber mosquitos in Afghanastan as well, I am sure our troops have uber spray. I will look. It was so nice to hear your voice. Maybe Dad and I will come in the spring and I will bring one whole suitcase of yummies for you. TP is on the way. I love you girlie.

Da Momma said...

Hey, I just went shopping for you for food! I bought you kid cliff bars since they are smaller and have better flavors with no nuts. Also, vacuum sealed chicken,(white meat) crackers, cookies, ramen's and TP. Also some instant mash potatoes pouches. It is important that you stay hydrated and fed. Also, as far as the toe is going, as soon as possible, get the gym shoes on to protect it.

Pappy said...

hey kid,i got your text today and did call chris. he is having a problem with the calling card thing. they charged him 40 dollars 4 times and he still did not get through yet. he is working to fix the problem. he feels bad that he missed your call 2 times. call him after 3;30 his time and he will have his phone. sent 3 boxes of food on the 16th.mostly basic stuff to get you started. hang in there and will talk to you soon. love pappy

cwgrag2 said...

he boo boo....just got off the phone with your pop who told me i could write you on your blog! just wanted to tell you that i love you and no im not avoiding you. just having problems with the calling card co. but im working on it babe! sorry i've missed your calls, i've been in the classroom when you call. i love you, drink lots and lots of water get some sleep.

cwgrag2 said...

ps...my skype name is the same as my name here...cwgrag2, tried to find you but couldn't. fyi